Sunday, November 30, 2014

Backyard Baseball

I don't act like an adult but by age I'm supposed to be one.  And the adults between the ages of 21 and 30 should remember a game called "Backyard Baseball."  A fantastic game that had spin offs of basketball, soccer, and probably football. I would research the spin off games, but I'm far too lazy to waste any more time than I have to on this topic.

Let's start off by me pointing out that the names on this game would never have gotten past meeting one in today's day and age. Although, I will say I am mildly amused by the names, most people may take offense.

I'm going to begin with the racial aspect of the game.  Number one the names couldn't be more stereotypical.  Pablo Sanchez is a stud baseball player from Latin America (I assume), and he is also very short and fast. Nothing terribly wrong here, but the Sanchez name is questionable.

Then, we have Achmed Kahn.  Really?  Achmed? That's a bold name to give an athlete from the Middle East.  How many movies involving a terrorist plot have a guy named "Achmed?" Probably quite a few.  They probably got the stereotypical name of Achmed from Backyard Sports.

And finally, we have Kiesha Phillips, a heavy set black girl who couldn't have the name Brittany.

The one smart move was not giving the wheel-chair kid the last name of Wheeler.

I appreciate movies and games that try to be inclusive of creeds and nations, but the execution needs to be better.  I am hereby announcing my candidacy to get the ability to name the characters in all children's TV Shows, movies, and games because I can be the man that stops the stereotyping at early ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment